At The Nurse Link, we value communication and encourage healthy nurse centered discussion. We created this space for your to voice your opinion, ask hard questions and share your nursing journey. Nursing has tons of hurdles, obstacles and triumphs. Rather you are a current, future or aspiring nurse you may share your perspective by joining in on popular ongoing  threads or by creating a brand new topic of interest. No inquiry is too big or small, allow our community of nurses to answer your pressing questions and join your movement! 

Notifications
Clear all

College nursing programs - prenursing vs nursing major?  

RSS

Alex
 Alex
(@alex)
23/04/2020 4:25 am  

I am a high school junior and I've basically decided that I really want to become a nurse and get my BSN. I am not educated on the pathways to become a nurse and I'm worried I'm applying to the wrong colleges. 

Lets say I want to apply to a college and eventually apply to their nursing program, what major would I select? I know many people say prenursing, but off of my research many colleges don't offer prenursing so I am confused on how prenursing works and the difference from a nursing major.

covidnurseamy
(@covidnurseamy)
25/04/2020 4:16 pm  
Posted by: @alex

I am a high school junior and I've basically decided that I really want to become a nurse and get my BSN. I am not educated on the pathways to become a nurse and I'm worried I'm applying to the wrong colleges. 

Lets say I want to apply to a college and eventually apply to their nursing program, what major would I select? I know many people say prenursing, but off of my research many colleges don't offer prenursing so I am confused on how prenursing works and the difference from a nursing major.

If you go straight into a 4-year college/university, you would be directly entering the BSN program which is a 4 year long program.

Pre-nursing programs are 2 years long (usually offering an Associate's at 2-year or community colleges) and designed for the purpose of transferring into a 4-year program to complete your BSN.

Pre-nursing programs are not to be confused with the ADN from which you can become an RN and then choose to go back to school to finish your BSN. The RN-BSN options are for those who would like to get started working in the field as soon as possible and finish their BSN later on if they choose to do so.

But since you are decidedly sure about becoming a BSN, the decision just lies in whether you'd like to save some money by going into a pre-nursing program first then transferring to a BSN school/program, or if you'd rather have the continuity of doing all 4 years at one institution.

ReplyQuote
(@tom808)
05/05/2020 9:29 pm  

@covidnurseamy I second this, this sums it up!

ReplyQuote
kentrella
(@kentrella)
16/05/2020 11:14 pm  

This actually helped me too, thank you!

ReplyQuote
Share: