Forum

ASN VS BSN  

RSS

(@prnurse)
28/06/2019 12:47 pm  

I'm looking to go back to school and see there are several tracks that can be taken. Anyone have any insight as the best or fastest way to get this knocked out?

(@tom808)
29/06/2019 10:39 pm  

I've been considering going back for my nursing degree (first degree in business mgmt) and have been trying to weigh the odds as well. So far I'm leaning more towards the ASN because its a faster track and if I'm going to actually enroll I need to do it in the shortest time possible. 

ReplyQuote
RN-loading
(@rn-loading)
02/07/2019 8:32 am  

I think that all depends on what your goals are and where you want to work. I just got accepted into nursing school and I was trying to figure out the same thing and I went for the BSN. I knew I wanted to get my masters so it made sense for me to go ahead and do the BSN first. The ASN program at most schools is two years which is the same as the BSN program here in Georgia. There were some more pre-reqs I needed for the BSN but if was to do the ASN and then bridge I would have had to go back and take those classes anyways so I just did it now. Also, some hospitals are only looking to hire BSN new grads so that's another thing to consider. I would check with local hospitals or facilities you want to work at and see what they are hiring fresh out of school and then figure out what your goals are for you career and make a decision based off of that. Ultimately, your only talking the difference of maybe one semester or year to have a higher degree. I would ultimately suggest the BSN.

ReplyQuote
(@medsurg-mike)
02/07/2019 1:15 pm  

@RN-loading you make a good point- my hospital has magnet status and recently started informing nurses with ASN level degrees that they'll need to go back and merge their degree. That said it might be worth taking into consideration up front. 

ReplyQuote
nursedanika
(@nursedanika)
04/07/2019 6:42 pm  

Like others mentioned, it really depends on your goals and what will work for your current situation! Personally, I wasn't 100% sure nursing was my calling and I had already "wasted" a few years (& a lot of dough $) in a different undergraduate degree so I opted for the ADN route to save time/money. It was a rigorous two years but it got me an incredible job after graduation (CVICU at top 5 hospital), which led to tuition reimbursement to complete my BSN. That being said, if you are certain about nursing and have the means to complete a BSN now, definitely go that route. BSN graduates have better job prospects, higher pay and can start an advanced practice degree. Plus, it's a pain in the butt to go to school to complete your BSN while working... to do the job you already have! 

Ultimately, do what's best for you!! With determination and perseverance, you will become a great RN one way or another! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register