Forum

Varsity sports & Nu...

Varsity sports & Nursing school  

RSS

NurseKayla
(@nursekayla)
30/06/2019 3:52 pm  

I am currently a varsity athlete at my university, and very interested in my school’s nursing program. At the recent information session that I attended, current nursing students and faculty advised against beginning nursing school with the commitment of a varsity sport on my plate. I am feeling very torn as I absolutely do not want to give my sport up. Looking for any advice...

NurseNy
(@nurseny)
30/06/2019 5:43 pm  

Being a student athlete while completing your nursing school career is possible. I was able to continue playing varsity soccer while completing my BSN program. Be sure that: 

1. Your sports schedule does not interfere with your nursing class/clinical schedule. If it does, you are going to have to negotiate your sport schedule, not your nursing commitments. 
  2. Be disciplined and manage your time well. #TIMEMANAGMENT 
  3. Organization! Organization will be key. I advise you to get a planner, and plan EVERYTHING ahead. Schedule weeks in advance. Everything from sports practices/games to nursing classes/clinicals/exams, etc. 

Best of luck! you can do it 

ReplyQuote
ItsPeyton
(@itspeyton)
04/07/2019 6:33 pm  

I played volley ball my freshman/ sophomore year but had to quit once my nursing program started. I wish athletic programs did a better job of working with the requirements of nursing programs so that athletes interested in medicine can pursue both.

ReplyQuote
sweetchi
(@sweetchi)
11/07/2019 7:08 pm  

I played volleyball my freshman and sophomore year of college as well before giving it up for nursing. I got back into playing at a new school I transferred to when I began nursing school and my schedule conflicted heavily! My new coach didn't really try to work with my class schedule, so I had to quit. It was definitely heartbreaking because I spent six years of my life playing the sport I love.

I feel like all collegiate coaches should equally care about their athlete's career outside of the court, but not all coaches understand that. I'd recommend talking to your coach about this. He/she SHOULD make adjustments for you. When your coach does make adjustments for you (speaking it into existence 😊 ) be sure to prioritize and develop excellent time management skills. Be sure to also tell your professors that you participate in collegiate sports so you'll all one the same page.

Good luck with everything! 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register