Forum

Pre-Nursing  

RSS

JoeThaGOAT
(@joethagoat)
20/06/2019 7:13 pm  

Im a college freshman thinking about declaring nursing as my major. The coursework seems pretty straight forward but the programs were explained to me to be super competitive?!? Any advice on what I can do to make myself a competitive applicant? I want to actually get in at my school and not have to transfer somewhere else. 

NurseKayla
(@nursekayla)
20/06/2019 7:27 pm  

As a current nurse the best advice I can give is for you to finding out what your school nursing program requires specifically. There is no way to become competitive among your classmates  unless you know what it takes. Here a  few more tips

Even if you just have to get in the program that your at...apply to other schools. Trust me, you dont wana be that one playing the waiting game for a semester or more. 

Also focus really hard on doing your best in the core science and math classes, THE FIRST TIME! Nursing prorgrams really look at this heavy.

Hope this helps Joe 

ReplyQuote
JoeThaGOAT
(@joethagoat)
20/06/2019 7:30 pm  

Thanks Kayla! Going to give it all I got 

ReplyQuote
NurseNy
(@nurseny)
29/06/2019 1:00 am  

Reflecting on my nursing school journey, 

I recommend that you visit your nursing school’s website or drop into their admissions office and get an approved list of the prerequisites needed to apply for the program, & the minimum GPA requirement. 

Personally, I felt like the science prereq. requirements were the most competitive/challenging. Definitely find a learning/study routine that allows you to understand the content and perform well on exams (For me this was taking notes before class, listening more than I wrote during class, and watching helpful youtube videos when working to learn the content). Know that these courses may be very trying. Allow this to build your determination and perseverance. Having these qualities in your tool box will be helpful in your nursing school journey. 

The school will more than likely look at your cumulative GPA, but they will focus most on your science GPA. With that being said, make it your goal to knock your science courses out of the park! 

Outside of completing the required prerequisites and maintaining the minimum GPA (definitely strive for a GPA above the minimum — this will give your application more of an edge)  get involved in some extracurriculars and your community! 

Think about things that you love to do personally, and create healthy outlets in the form of hobbies..  

& Think about why you want to be a nurse —assuming that a portion of this is because you have a passion about caring for others — get into the community, begin to organically nurture that passion and allow that to continue making your nursing vision clear. 

Study Hard, and be your genuine self — let that show on your application! 

Lastly, I understand that you want to apply to your school program, get accepted and not have to transfer. I do not see any disadvantage in having safety options. Apply! Apply! Apply! 

Best of luck with your nursing journey! I look forward to watching you #BECOME 

liked
ReplyQuote
nursekatty
(@nursekatty)
29/06/2019 8:12 pm  

I'm in my first semester of my nursing program and the program as a whole definitely came off as intimidating but once I started doing my research and mapped out a plan of action I felt alot better. Don't get me wrong- its ALOT but being writing out a plan allowed me to create a realistic check list for moving forward. You got this!

Nursejane liked
ReplyQuote
Nursejane
(@nursejane)
02/07/2019 5:58 pm  

@JoeThaGOAT nursing is fairly competitive and has been for quite some time. Your best bet is to aim to stand out in the application process. In addition to having great grades, additional experience such as volunteering or having a job as a CNA/ tech can be a huge bonus. Best of luck

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register